By katrina lucas, Jun 1 2020 01:16PM
Can you believe we are into June and still in lock down? Thankfully the weather has been amazing, and we are starting to see a little ease up in restrictions. We have been able to drive to the beach for some exercise which has been great….it made our couch to 5k run more bearable lol.
I don’t normally talk about birthstones, but I just can’t resist this month as its pearls. I just love pearls and I have to take advantage of this so I will be talking pearls, pearls, pearls this month.
Pearls are timeless they have adapted through millennia and can be worn during any occasion. Their simplicity give a classical elegance feel and they are the go to jewellery for special occasions such as weddings. Coco Channel helped bring faux pearls into the fashion…you don’t even need to pay for freshwater or saltwater pearls, there is pearls available for any budget.
My aim is to transfer some of my passion for them onto you, starting with a few fun facts….
• Pearl is also the modern gift for 12th wedding anniversary and 30th wedding anniversary
• Only jewel that is formed from a living animal (any mollusc not just oysters).
• The are from the sea not land and require no extra manipulation like shaping or heating.
• When created naturally (from a parasite not a grain of sand) only found in 1 in every 100,000 shells.
• Only 5% of cultured pearls are salt water (shown in their price) 95% are freshwater mostly from China.
• The earliest record of pearls being used as precious objects are dated to around 2300BC.
• The pearls colour depends on the type of Mollusc that created them and the water in which it lives.
• Pearls lost popularity to diamonds in 1700s as they were more affordable.
• Round pearls are very rare.
I hope you enjoyed reading these and have learned something new this Monday? I’m going to keep a few facts back so I can share them with you throughout the month. Don’t forget you can get all my latest information and offers from my newsletter (sign up by clicking on the link below and you can unsubscribe at any time if it’s not for you). If you follow me IG (link below) you will see daily updates and some behind the scene shots plus more.
Well that is it until next week, feel free to get in touch if you have any questions.
Sending lots of virtual love you way.